Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Exploding on to the Stage!!



One of my favorite Reader's Workshop activities is to have my students act out a book. It's a great way to have children actively involved in a story and thus remembering not only the beginning, middle, and ending of it but also story elements such as the characters and setting and the problem and solution in a fun way!! A book I love to start out our re-enactments with is called, "Lucy's Boot." It's by Janie Spaht Gill. A fun-loving Kindergarten teacher who presented at a workshop I attended a few years ago. The story goes like this: Lucy had pair of boots on that she wanted to get off. Her father kept saying, "It's stuck," "It won't come off." "I don't know what to do." Then the mother pulled on the father and the father pulled on the boot. It didn't budge. The brother, the baby, and even the dog tried to get the boot off (all tugging at the same time.) Then Lucy shouted, "Wait, what's this?" She found a buckle and the boot slipped off! This story has the students laughing every time. It's already a classroom favorite and will be acted out again tomorrow, I'm sure!!

3 comments:

Melanie Holtsman said...

Dear Mrs. Mallon's Class,
I love your photo on your blog. I have never read that book, but now I really want to hear that story. It looks like you are having a fun time in your kindergarten class. Maybe I'll stop by one day to watch a Readers' Theater.

:) Mrs. Holtsman

Anonymous said...

Great idea for ensuring that the children fully understand the story. Cool web building skills as well

Chris

dayle timmons said...

I LOVE this picture! Can I be 5 years old again? i want to be in Mrs. Mallon's class! dayle

Kindergarten Pow Wow 2019

Our tribe this year was the Inuit. Our students learned about the Inuit culture which included their food, housing and shelter. They sang ...