Sunday, October 28, 2007

Preparing for Pow Wow


Kindergarten classes are getting ready for our biggest event of the year. We are fast approaching our Pow Wow. Each Kindergarten class (there are eight) is representing a Native American tribe from various regions of the United States. Our tribe is the Lenape which means "Original People." The Lenape are from New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. They were a peaceful tribe that helped early settlers learn how to hunt and fish in the new world. Students will learn how the Lenape children lived, what they ate, and what their homes were like. As they learn more about our tribe, they will see that they were not much different than we are today. They had chores to do, played games, and even ate popcorn!!

One of the ways we prepare for our Pow Wow is to integrate homework with what we are doing in class. The book, "Knots on a Counting Rope" will be read a few times this week. As the story goes... a Native American boy requests his favorite story from his grandfather --- the story of the special night when the boy came into the world. Though he was born blind, the boy has learned from his grandfather many ways to see without needing his eyes. Each time Grandfather tells the boy's tale, he adds another knot to the counting rope. Once the rope is full, the boy will know the wonderful story by heart, able to tell it himself.

For homework, a piece of twine will be sent home and each time a story is told, another knot will be tied in the rope. Each time the child is told a story, hears a story read to him/her, or reads a story, a knot will be tied. Children will love hearing stories about their childhood and about other family members.

Our Pow Wow is on Friday, November 16th. I can't wait to share our many activities leading up to this wonderful day during the next few weeks.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Dear Mrs. Mallon,
One of my favorite activities each year is Pow-Wow. I love to watch the K kids learn in such a meaningful way. My oldest, now in middle school, still has his Kindergarten Pow-Wow outfit and drum. I am thrilled that my youngest son is now at the point that he can have this incredible experience, too. Thank you for working so hard to make this all a reality. You are one of a kind!
Love,
Carter's Mom

Dorry Lopez said...

I cannot wait for this big "Pow Wow" event! I look forward to it every year. I love the book that you are reading, "Knots on a Counting Rope". Your homework idea is so cool! The students are sure lucky to be in your class, Mrs. Mallon!

Love,
Ms. Lopez

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Wolf,
What a cool way to reach out to these kids. Keep up the good work
Chris

dayle timmons said...

I really love Pow Wow. I love this homework assignment because parents and grandparents share the stories of their lives. That is how the generations live on and family histories stay alive. My daughter, Courtney, was home this weekend. She is at FSU preparing to be a teacher and we were talking about her Pow Wow so many years ago. I wear a necklaces that she made out of clay as a kindergartner each year to Pow Wow as my personal reminder of how we are making memories for our children. I know that Courtney's Pow Wow is etched in my memory for always. Thanks you, Maria, for caring so much about the memories that we are creating...

Anonymous said...

Can you post some of your Pow Wow ideas? I am new to kinder this year (as well as the other members of my team) and we would like to have a Pow Wow this year. I'd love to read more about what you do! You can also email me at laurieanne1@sbcglobal.net

Kindergarten Pow Wow 2019

Our tribe this year was the Inuit. Our students learned about the Inuit culture which included their food, housing and shelter. They sang ...